Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm doing laundry...soap!

A while back (read several months ago and I am not sure how long it's been:) we made our first batch of laundry soap following the Duggar recipe for liquid laundry soap. It worked really well, and was not too complicated, so now that we are about to run out I decided to make some more.

I don't know about you, but I like to use a recipe the first time I make something and then experiment to see how I could play with ingredients adding more of one or decreasing another. I do this in cooking and decided to try it with this batch of laundry soap...I will let you know how it goes, but here are the recipes I have used.

First Batch:
1 bar Fell's Naptha Soap
1/2 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda

Second Batch:
2 bars Ivory Soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda

I was not as happy with the Ivory Soap. It didn't seem to get my whites very clean. We didn't have that issue with the Fells Naphtha.

**Since Then:
1 bar Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda

We have been pretty happy with the effectiveness of this recipe. As this is a natural soap, I would recommend using vinegar in the fabric softener compartment (about 1/2 cup). It keeps residue from building up on cotton fabrics. I don't do this every laundry day, about once a month is enough.
(We've also used the liquid Dr Bronner's--about 2 cups, along with the Borax and Super Washing Soda yielding 3 gallons of soap instead of 5 gal.)

Also, enjoy the step-by-step instructional pics!
This takes maybe 20-30 minutes and saves you $BIG$!



Okay, start with your favorite mild soap.
Often recommended are Fell's Naphtha Soap, which I used in the first batch; and Ivory Soap which I used here.


1 5.5oz Fell's Naptha Soap Bar
or 2 3oz Ivory Soap Bars

Finely grate the soap.






In a sauce pan, add at least 4 cups of hot water and stir over medium heat until soap is completely dissolved.










Grab a clean 5 gallon bucket with a lid.
Fill it half full with hot tap water.











Add some Super Washing Soda and Borax.
The first batch I made had 1/2 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Super Washing Soda.

This batch I used 1 cup of each Borax and Super Washing Soda.

Stir into hot water in bucket until completely dissolved.






Pour dissolved hot soap into the bucket and stir well. Fill your 5 gallon bucket to within a couple of inches from the top with more hot water, stirring and stirring all the while.


Now, pop the lid on and let sit over night.

When you open in the morning, it is a blob of gel! Fill empty and clean laundry jugs half full of gelled soap and half warm water.

Shake well every time you use the soap as it will gel up in the bottles. Use 2/3 cup in each load, it is low sudsing and perfect for HE machines.

These recipes make 10 gallons of laundry soap!!!

It can easily cost $40 or more to buy 10 gallons of laundry soap, this recipe cost me:
***$ 1.00 for 3 bars of Ivory Soap (only used 2 bars)
$ 4.00 for a box of Super Washing Soda (approx. 8 cups in the box)
$ 4.00 for a box of Borax (approx. 6 cups in the box)
Totaling $9.00 initial cost.
In reality only $1.82 for ingredients used in 10 gallons of soap!!
(That is less than $.01 per load)

The Borax and Super Washing Soda will make several batches of laundry soap.
The 5 gallon buckets can either be purchased or you can ask around at local businesses/restaurants if they have any they need to get rid of.

For powdered detergent, grate the soap, add the Super Washing Soda and Borax; stir until thoroughly mixed or pulse in a food processor. Use 2 TBSP per load. I have never tried it, so I can't vouch for it's qualities.

***The various soap bars you start with will differ in price. The Fells Naphtha runs about $2 a bar here. The Dr. Bronner's is the most expensive at about $4 a bar. Still much less expensive than one regular container of laundry detergent!

No comments: