Saturday, January 16, 2010

Supper Adventures!

No, I did not mean super adventures, it really is supper adventures!

We had such a fun time tonight at supper. Instead of eating at home, which we usually do, we went to Village Inn and had a fun supper. Being a mom, I don't usually encourage eating sweets for supper, but for one night we threw the rule book out the window.

Kathrina and Arabella both had smiley face pancakes and loads of fun with their kids menus. Rich had the Denver omelet, and I had a piece of white chocolate cherry cream pie and coffee...Ok, so I implied that the sweets were for the kids but really they were for me :)

The fun (and funny) parts of the evening were found in moments where the girls let down their hair and shone forth their true selves...not something we always encourage in public--all the moms out there know what I mean!

Kathrina's funny moment came as she was eating her pancake after systematically finishing off the blueberry eyes, bacon smile, and scrambled egg hair of her smiley face. As she smeared butter on the pancakes, she turned and with all the sincerity of a six-year-old asked, "What are pancakes made of?"
Being the mom and baker in our house, I answered, "Lots of things, flour, eggs, milk..."
To which she replied, "No, mom, I mean what ANIMAL are they made from."
Apparently we have been talking a little too much lately about the animal origins of some of her food.

For Arabella, moments are like all things in her life, nothing is ever small! Everything is attacked with the zeal only a three-year-old can produce. We had reminded her several times that she needed to use a little voice while we were eating so as not to disturb those around us--let's face it, people think kids are cute, but loud ones are obnoxious. So, when she screamed "Oow!" for no apparent reason as she was eating her pancake, we once more started to tell her she needed to keep it down.
As she stabbed a piece of pancake with her fork, our eyes were opened to the greater situation with her added statement of "Ow, that hurts me!" Onto the fork went the pancake, screaming for its life, and into her mouth with a big grin.
Rich and I laughed as we understood what was happening, which only further encouraged Bella. She promptly turned to her daddy and said, "I'm a pancake, eat me! I'm yummy!" We all got a big laugh then as she laid back in the booth and presented herself for consumption.

It was fun, and I couldn't let this night pass without giving tonight's supper adventures their proper due. It may seem like a little thing, but those little things all add up to big important feelings in little girls who learned again tonight that they are great people, that family life is fun and that sometimes love is best expressed in laughter.

1 comment:

mommyjoymarie said...

LOVED this post!! Give me a call next time you are in town and have a minute. :)